Sunday, January 15, 2012

What do I write?

I’m blogging aren’t I? (Don’t snicker.  It’s unkind).  I turn out pieces for my local writers’ group.  I journal, ferociously.  My immediate goal is to sharpen my claws skills on a series of short stories, with a hint of the fantastical about them (Zombie grandma, anyone?).  And of course there is my great unwritten novel, brewing in the vast smoky teapot of my mind. 

In fact, the brew is just about ready to pour.  I’ve slopped a bit into a cup and stared at it for a while.  But it’s a bit daunting.  I’m still grappling with how to organise the structure of the thing, and whether I’ve got enough plot layers for a good well-rounded story.  Plus there’s a bit more research to do about the locale.  While I’m all for editing and the power of the roughest first draft, I would rather get it as good as I possibly can right from the start.  Hence the extended stewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your witty, insightful and encouraging comments welcome!